About my serious side

Not to break the spell or spoil the fun, but you've probably figured out my real name isn't Dummy.

The CTD Diaries is my playground. No one tells the truth in their diaries anyway so I figured I should find another place to get real, where the head lights aren't so bright. I originally thought this would be a good place to post my creative writing, but I think this is just a good place to tell the truth.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

The truth about the boring old boat man

The truth about the boring old boat man is he's not boring at all.  And neither are his boats.  I just said that to make him feel bad.  

Nah, you guys know my whole purpose in life is to make others feel good.  Or at least to make others feel.   

The truth about the old boat guy is he's incredible.  I'm not interested in boats, but I am interested in life lessons and there are so many life lessons to learn from boat restoration. 

I don't know why I like to curl up with my laptop and go to the old boat guy's blog and watch him take his old boat apart, then carefully put it back together.  There's something so soothing about it.  So soothing that I've actually cried a few times while reading it (metaphorical tears, of course--which means real tears over metaphoric truths.) 

Maybe because it took him so much time and effort and dedication and care and commitment and patience.  Who is that patient anymore?  

Or maybe because he had to be so precise.  Who is that patient AND precise anymore?  

Or maybe because every step of his restoration process is a perfect metaphor for what we are in our master's hands and how patiently our master toils over each one of us in order to restore us to our perfect state because we can't do it ourselves.   

Whatever it is, I'm thankful there are still people out there like the boring old boat guy.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that, in case you didn't get the hidden truths embedded in all the mysteries wrapped in riddles inside the enigmas in my diary. 

3 comments:

Mariko said...

Well, in a way, you are deconstructing the English language. So you are like that. Anymore.

OldBoatGuy said...

Thank you. You are so sweet. Your words left me crying, real tears. But that's not bad.

I cry alot these days. In this next chapter, you will see why. I'm not seeking sympathy, I just tell it the way it is.

I think this boat was a training ground for me for what was to come. The patience, the love, the tender care.

squesse............I'm giving you a metaphoric hug.

Funny Farmer said...

I told you it would make him cry. :)

I can't tell you how incredibly impressed I am that my dad disassembled and rebuilt that boat. So many metaphors there. I've seen pics of the finished product and it is indeed a thing of beauty. Next summer I get to ride in it! Yeeeehawww!